Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Webkinz


I run a Webkinz Clubhouse GASA (Glenwood After School Activity) Monday and Friday. My PTO does an after school activity program for a fee after school. I get paid $60 per class; classes run 1 hour and there are 8 in a session. The PTO charges $90 per student for the clubhouse for 8 classes. They can fit 22 in my room at once, but were kind enough to limit the group to 18. Well, by overwhelming enrollment, the class was overbooked and I teach Webkinz Clubhouse on Monday and Friday.
I start out the session taking down the names and passwords for the students, in case a child forgets. This has come in handy because many times a child cannot remember a login or password. My youngest students are in Kindergarten and the oldest enrolled is in 4th grade. It's fun for all the students involved. A 2nd grader just told me her 8th grade sister plays with Webkinz every day! I find myself logging in at least 4 times a week! (I am kind of sad to admit that!!)
In the class, I help the little ones read their mail, write mail and send cards/gifts, etc. I show them how to play the games I know or I have the more advanced students help the less experienced students learn new games. New friendships have been made, both in person and virtually. Webkinz friendships know no age barriers, either. There are times a 1st grader will show a 3rd grader her garden or room. There have been times that I will be asked to play a game for a child to get more webkinz cash. :) I will let children use my webkinz account if they want, because we have talked about how to take care of the virtual pet. It's funny, I had a student send himself an expensive gift from my account. I won't be logging in as myself for him again!
It has been an exciting semester. I plan to ask the students what they learned at the end of the session... I am sure it will be more that how to spin the wheel of WOW. ;)
There will be more to post about Webkinz and other social networking sites when I have a chance to play with imbee and clubpenguin. I have to partner up with some more students. :)

No comments: